Mystery with arrays (lost key)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Apr 15 08:29:00 EDT 2002

on 10/4/02 9:18 AM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> As far as I know, the use of non-quoted literals comes from HyperTalk
> and Scott strongly recommends to always quote literals. It is
> definitely a cleaner way to code and eliminates any ambiguities.

I totally agree (with both you and Scott).  But note that currently in
MetaTalk there is one place where you _can't_ use a quoted literal, namely
in custom properties.

Eg if a button has the custom property "sourcefile" then this code:

    on mouseUp
        answer the sourcefile of me
    end mouseUp

works; but this code:

    on mouseUp
        answer the "sourcefile" of me
    end mouseUp

doesn't; and nor does this:

    on mouseUp
        put 23 into sourcefile
        answer the sourcefile of me
    end mouseUp

I think this is a bug in the parser, or a hole in the syntax.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866