CustomKeys behavior

Tariel Gogoberidze PMDA at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 14 02:40:01 EDT 2002

Mac OS 9.1  MetaCard  2.3  and up to the latest  build of 4.2B2

I have a  group object with custompropertySET "tbRowdata"

button a
on mouseup
  set the customkeys[tbRowData] of grp "Table" to empty
end  mouseup

button b
on mouseup
  set the tbRowData["MyProperty "] of grp "table"  to SomeRowData
end  mouseup

Clicking button "a" and then button  "b" works as  expected.

However, if  you  put this two lines of script under  one button
button c
on mouseup
  set the customkeys[tbRowData] of grp "Table" to empty
  set the tbRowData["MyProperty"] of grp "table"  to SomeRowData
end  mouseup

The second line of script does not work and custompropertySET
"tbRowdata" remains empty.

I guess it could  be explained as perfectly normal  MC  behavior and I
know that  I can  use

on mouseUp
  set the customPropertySet of grp "Table" to "tbRowData"
  set the customProperties of grp "Table" to empty
 -- set the customPropertySet of grp "Table" to empty
  set the tbRowData["MyProperty"] of grp "table"  to SomeRowData
end mouseUp

 but while I'm learning  Associative  arrays  I sure wold like  to learn
why script in button "c" is not working as I expected it to work.

Also, MC 2.4.2  introduced  a very nice new feature

"When the a field has a vertical grid, text is now truncated within a
"cell" rather than being pushed off to the next tab stop location"

However,  if you will create a field  with vertical grid   and  type
following in button  script

on mouseUp
  set the tabstops of field  1 to "50,100,150"
  put "this is the test" & tab & "this is the test" into fld 1
  set itemdel  to tab
  set the textcolor  of item 1 of fld 1 to red
end mouseUp

then the truncated  part of "this is the test"  will became  visible.

BTW  till last moment  I  hoped that  the final  version of MC  2.4.2
will introduce  three dots "и"  instead  of truncated  text. But it is
in gamma  version already and no luck so far

Best regards,
Tariel  Gogoberidze