what is the relation between metacard and revolution?

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Sun Apr 14 02:01:00 EDT 2002

On Saturday, April 13, 2002, at 07:43  PM, James Z wrote:

> I'm really confused.
>
> Can someone tell me what the relation between Metacard and Revolution
> is? I
> understand that they are compatible and there seems to be some
> connection
> between the two.

MetaCard is based on an engine developed by MC.  They have their own
interface that allows development of apps just like Rev.  It has been
around for over 10 years.  Rev came about just recently.   They created
their own user interface to the exact same engine that they license from
MC.

Revolution is built using the MetaCard engine.  They are both compatible
to a point.  Revolution has some build in features that would require
revolution to run.  Revolution on the other hand can read any stack
created from MetaCard.

> Which is better or are they the same? How did the compatibility between
> them
> come about.
Which is better depends on you.  Revolution is a more complex user
interface.  What I mean by that is that it has more options and
features.  MetaCard is more sparse on its interface.  I myself prefer
the MC interface at this point because it is less in my face.  Now when
I first started using MC, I came over from SuperCard.  In those early
days, I would have preferred the Rev interface.  Both have the pos and
negs.

They are compatible for the reason above.

> Lastly, why is the Metacard mailing list hosted by Revolution?
Don't know.  Guess they offered and MC accepted.  Used to be different.
This new list works and since it does...

> Thanks
>
> James Zuchelli

-Mark Talluto