Windows standalones

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 12 20:35:00 EDT 2002

Schultz knows nothing about Windows, as we do Mac here, so here goes
the Windows questions:

* what I've done so far *

I downloaded the Metacard.exe engine.

Saved my program's icon as 16 colors in Windows .ico format with
GraphicConvertor.
Just chose the 16 color option, and Save As... without diddling with
any of the default preferences (which there appear to be a lot of).

My program has the standalone with several embedded stacks, one
exterior stack to save data to, and a text file, though that file
isn't critical.

* questions *

When doing the standalone build, should the Windows icon be embedded
somewhere in the stack first?  Or just as is, the .ico file in the
same folder as the program?

How does Windows handle the creator code and file types?  On the Mac,
I set the file type and creator of the external stack so that
double-clicking the stack would launch the standalone, rather than
Metacard.  Also, the standalone has it's own icon, not the same icon
as the standalone.  This is done in the resource fork on a Mac.  How
would I achieve these same results on Windows?

It took quite a bit of diddling to find a combination that worked.
As the wrong combination would overwrite the custom icon of the
external stack, with Metacard's icon.  How to accomplish this for
Windows?

Presumably it should be saved as a Zip file.  Any words of wisdom here?

Presumably if I dragged the final zipped file to a PC formatted disk,
or burned it onto a CD, anyone with Windows could access it?  Or is
there something special that needs to be done here?

* the happy news *

The Mac PPC version is finished and being uploaded as we speak :-)
Though it may take awhile for Info-Mac to post it.

Shari C

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com