Determine Write Protection?

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Wed Apr 10 15:47:00 EDT 2002

Well, more accurately "777" is read, write, and execute for owner, group,
and world. And "555" is read and execute for owner, group, and world.

But, I see now that you are talking about folders (directories), and they
must have execute privileges. If, however you only wanted read permissions
for everyone for a file, with no ability to execute the file, then the
proper permissions would be "444"

-Glen Yates