visual effects & player objects

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Apr 8 17:45:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Yennie at aol.com wrote

> I found some rumbling in the archives about this, but nothing conclusive:
> How can I (or can I) use a visual effect to go to a card with a player object
> on it? Every combination I can think of results in transitioning to an empty
> card and then having the player object jump onscreen at the end. Or, I can
> make it flicker somewhere in between. Has anyone solved this? The best
> solution I could come up with was to create images of the poster frames of
> each movie, transition to those, and then show the player. Eck!

A near solution ("near" because sometimes - but not always -a barely
noticeable flicker remains when the card is opened or closed) that I
tried had the following elements:

- covering the player with a field that then would be hidden after the
card had been opened

- to be able to put a cover field on top of the player you have to set
the alwaysbuffer of the player to true.

- the smooth transition then is effected by distributing the script
between the card script and the "next" and "previous" buttons.

Here are the scripts for navigating between two cards each of which
contains a player object:

--button next
on mouseUp
  set the alwaysbuffer of player 1 to true
  show field "Jalousie" with visual effect shrink from bottom
  visual effect barn door open
  go next
end mouseUp

--similar for
--button previous
on mouseUp
  set the alwaysbuffer of player 1 to true
  show field "Jalousie" with visual effect stretch from top
  visual effect barn door close
  go previous
end mouseUp

--card script
on openCard
  hide field "Jalousie" with visual effect venetian blinds
  set the alwaysbuffer of player 1 to false
end openCard

--other card script
on opencard
  hide field "Jalousie" with visual effect shrink from bottom
  set the alwaysbuffer of player 1 to false
end opencard

Most certainly there are other solutions. I found the above solution at
least satifactory.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke