chat program behind a router

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Fri Apr 5 12:18:01 EST 2002

MC 2.4.2 b4
OS 10.1.3 on both systems

I have been working on my chat program again to refresh my memory on how
sockets work.  BTW, anyone can have this stack if they want it.  I
comment pretty well so it should be understandable.

It works great when everyone is on the same lan.  It also works great if
you are not behind a personal router over the net.

Example:

computer a
He has his ip number from the isp.  He his not behind a router but is
directly connected to the cable modem.

computer b
He he is running ipnetrouter from sustworks.com.  on a computer as his
gateway.  He is a client on that network.

When we chat, computer b can send messages successfully to computer a,
but computer a can not send messages back to computer b.

Is my problem with settings on the routing software or with my chat
program?  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark Talluto