[Metacard] re: recording sound

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Mon Nov 26 08:51:01 EST 2001

>  >On Mac 8.5.1 I have been able to record my own voice with either
>>"ulaw", "ima4" or "mace 3:1" chosen in the dialog box and with 22.050
>>khz (8 or 16 bits). On PC the same choices (all saved as
>>"mysound.mov") record only at half speed. If anyone has managed to
>>record on PC, please, send me a recipe. Thanks in advance.
>
>44khz works fine here. QT  5 seems to be some kind of screwed with 22khz.
>
>Tuviah

Thanks a lot, I have now got it to work on PC, but on repeated
recordings it seems to refuse to record (I have just tried out Mac3
+ 44.100 kHz) on Windows 2000.

Since it now is possible to script the compression (record ... as
"ulaw/ima4/mac3" etc) would it be possible to script the rate? (For
instance: if the platform = "macos" then set the rate to 22.050 or if
the platform = "win32" then set the rate to 44.100)

As I have mentioned earlier I would also like to be able to launch
the small built-in panel "Sound - sound recording" (if this is the
name in English, I have just my Norwegian names). When I search for
it, I just see 3 aliases. The students shall record short sound
strings which they can listen to and compare them to a model voice.
This means there is no need to save the sound to disk if they can use
the panel instead. I have no experience with open process.. or
queryRegistry so far if that's the way to go. Any suggestions?

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/default.html
Norway