[Metacard] Re: Win XP: a new dawn

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 16:52:00 EST 2001

A follow-up.

There is some information on the proper way to do things on Microsoft's site:

<http://www.microsoft.com/winlogo/downloads/software.asp>

Then download (Word doc of course) from the following link:

"Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" Application Specification 2.2

To follow these requirements, it looks like we need a few additions
to the specialFolderPath function on Windows. I've listed these below
along with the value of the SHGetFolderPath API that the above doc
says should be used to get these.

Program Files directory (CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES)
Common Application Data (machine specific) (CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA)
User Application Data (user specific, roaming) (CSIDL_APPDATA)
User Local Application Data (user specific, non-roaming) (CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA)

It may be possible to get these locations from the registry (anyone
know?), but the above doc warns against it.

Configuration data can be stored in the registry, of course, but only
if it's small. However, for the new "limited user" accounts, the only
place to put common application data is in the common application
data folder. (And even that requires some permission tweaking, but
apparently we're allowed to do that.)

Any chance of this, Scott? Then we can add the XP logo to our apps
(after paying for independent verification and complying with a few
hundred other requirements), and succumb completely. Ahh, the
ecstasy! :)

Cheers

Dave Cragg