[Metacard] Re: Win XP: a new dawn

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 17:29:01 EST 2001

At 8:25 am -0800 23/11/01, Phil Davis wrote:
>Have you looked at Fred Langa's stuff? (http://www.langa.com/) From
>there you may find links to groups discussing XP security and the like.

Thanks for the link, Phil.

My initial frustration was mainly due to the "default" installation
varying depending on circumstances: upgrading or a clean install, on
a local network or a domain. This affects the options that are
presented and parts of the user interface, which makes it difficult
to track down problems that another user is having. The lack of
documentation doesn't help, but I went out and bought a book
(remember those?) to see if I can get get some kind of overview.

I'm still not sure whether I've bumped into something new (compared
to NT, 2000) , or whether it's just different default settings. But I
think I may need a new strategy for storing configuration data.

So far, my overall impression of XP is the usual mix of impressive
engineering and "we-know-what's-good-for-you" interface design.
(nagging you to Activate every 10 minutes, or get a Passport Account
every time the cursor gets near Messenger icon).

Cheers
Dave Cragg

PS Metacard's visual effects, without QuickTime, work as smooth as silk. :)