[Metacard] Re: Darwin, CGI Question

Phil Davis phildavis at home.com
Fri Nov 23 11:53:01 EST 2001

Hi Richard,

Partial answer...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard MacLemale" <rmaclemale at earthlink.net>
To: <metacard at www.runrev.com>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 6:37 AM
Subject: Re: Darwin, CGI Question

> in the command line does.  Being a UNIX newbie, I don't know what the
./
> does, but you can't execute without it.  So perhaps this has something
to do
> with not being able to execute a script from a browser?

"./" before a filename means "use the current directory as the relative
path for the filename". So if your 'pwd' is:
   /export/home/rmaclemale/cgi-bin

and you type on the command line:
   ./somescript.mt

the OS will look for (and try to execute) a file named:
   /export/home/rmaclemale/cgi-bin/somescript.mt

Similarly, "../" means "use the 'parent' directory of the current
directory (the next directory up) as the relative path..."

Since you're a self-proclaimed Unix newbie, I'll venture one more thing:
I don't know specifically about your system, but Unix normally has a
built-in technical "manual" (aka "man pages") that you can use to learn
what a command means. So if you type this on a command line:
   man pwd

You'll be shown the 'man page' describing the 'pwd' command.

Phil