Field limit?

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 13 18:28:01 EST 2001

I have a very large text file I wanted to import into a field.

When I use the IMPORT button, the entire file ends up on one line,
even with the wrapping turned on.  And it doesn't import the entire
file.

When I use a script to import,

open file theFile
read from file theFile until eof
close file theFile
put it into cd fld someField

it only puts a very very small portion of theFile into the field.  I
mean about a paragraph.

When I expand the import script to go through the file and delete
about 2/3 of it, it pastes the result into the field, but all in 4
lines, so that each line is overwritten several times and you cannot
read the result.

I can import the file and put it into a global variable, and the
entire file is in the variable, with no problem.

How do I get the field to accept the file?  I thought the limits were
large enough to handle biggies.  I believe the file is about 40,000
words long.  I'd rather it be embedded in the program, as it takes so
long to load.  I'd rather a card not take several minutes to open,
while it opens the text file and reads the result into the global
variable.

Anybody?

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--