stack architecture

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Tue Dec 11 17:41:01 EST 2001

Aloha,

Oh darn, getting frustrated with the stack architecture and know there
must be a simple solution.  The problem is hard to describe in detail
since I have tried so many combinations of things all of which failed,
but in a nutshell, I think it is the fact that substacks get saved in
the same file as the main stack.  How to turn this off?  How to get
rid of a stack that got saved in a file you don't want it in?  Mmmm,
if only we could just edit a stack file.

So anyway, here is the scoop:  I want basically 3 stacks.  I think. Only
because I think I have to.  I'd happily change.

1) Stack one, gets compiled as the executable standalone.  Has to be
executable.  But as a result, it cannot save data.  Enter stack #2.

2) Stack two, this is for data.  Each user of the program will have
their own data set.  Consequently, this should be a separate file,
just for data.

3.  Stack three, for algorithms.  If I want to add new features, I
will add them here and distribute this.  I don't want stack 2 and 3
mixed together because then I would overwrite existing data if I
distribute this.

Problem is that 2 has to be a substack of 3 to inherit its algorithms
and this causes the files to be saved as each other.  I have them
horribly mixed together and delete doesn't remove the algorithm code
from the data file, or the data from the algorithm file.

Help!

Thanks
Sadhu