players versus play

cowhead cowhead at ztv.ne.jp
Sun Dec 9 05:50:01 EST 2001

I'm trying to convert to using player objects, rather than the "play"
command, as suggested in the reference manual.  This also would allow me
to switch to mpeg layger 3 for my audio files, and save considerable
space ("play" does not work for mp3 files, it seems).  But I cannot
figure out an easy way to do the

--wait until sound() is "done"

using the player objects.  The playStopped message is sent to the player
object itself.  I've thus tried making a function handler in the card
script, which responds to a message passed by the player object and then
returns "stopped" or something, and then calling this function in the
actual handler scripts where I want the wait to occur...but whew!  It
didn't seem to work and there has gotta be a better way!

Anyway, any help would be muchly appreciated.

mark mitchell
japan