Launch web browser/page from Win XP?

Dave Cragg dcragg at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 1 10:53:01 EST 2001

At 3:20 pm -0800 30/11/01, Charles Buchwald wrote:
>Thanks to Dave Cragg I've got a way to launch a browser with a URL from Mac
>OSX... now what about Windows XP? Doesn't seem to work on any of our
>machines with the standard:
>
>>  put word 1 to -2 of \
>>
>>queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\http\shell\open\command\")
>>     \
>>     into tBrowserPath
>>  launch tURL with tBrowserPath
>
>Any suggestions, sage list memebers?

Interesting. This works here on XP.  But the equivalent "mailto" for
opening the e-mail program won't work on my machine.

I noticed that the http entry in the registry here has a full path
(F:\Program Files\etc) whereas the mailto entry has a "shortcut"
entry for the Program Files element (something like
%ProgramFiles%\etc) . I was wondering if the "shortcut" doesn't get
resolved with the launch call.

What does tBrowserPath contain in your example?

Cheers
Dave Cragg